View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 11:17 AM   #26
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant Updated to Version 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Just to clarify - running "Check for Updates" from within the program no longer downloads a patcher to update just the files that need updating? All check boxes on that dialogue notwithstanding, we have to hand-download and install the complete new version every time there's a new release?

It's not a great inconvenience, but it's a change in behaviour from version 4 that confused me for a few hours.
That is correct. (Technically you had to hand-download and then run the GCA4 patcher also, but you didn't have to login to the store to get that.)

Actual patchers in the new world of Windows these days are freakishly expensive, and the old tech I had for GCA4 long since stopped being accessible to me.

Since GCA isn't free, I can't make the core program available through the Package Manager the same way I can books and plugins. So any updates to the core program will require access through a login system. It was the preference of the SJGames staff (they didn't want a third-party having access to logins) and me (since it would have been a lot more work) that I not create a custom browser to access Warehouse23 to get the new installer for any update and then run it automatically.*

For now, the best I can offer is a message that the update is available, and a link to your Download page at Warehouse 23. Maybe we'll be able to revisit that down the line.

* I did build a system for doing some of that, but it doesn't scale to the web store access with cookies and obfuscation system that most online stores use.