View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
zoncxs

Default Re: Custom Modular Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
I guess, but the point-cost differences between having an outer circle and an inner circle and just having an outer circle the same size as the inner circle* make me think that the circles are supposed to be encircling different kinds of things.

*Building off your example:
The hypothetical Cosmic Psion modular ability would cost seven points per slot and an additional five points per point in the slot. (That's 12 points for a 1-point slot, 57 points for a 10-point slot, 257 for a 50-point slot...) An elemental focus limitation would give a -10% discount (reducing the example prices to 11, 52, and 232 points). On the other hand, the same ability with a more restricted list would cost something like 5 points plus five per point in slot. Those same examples cost 10, 55, and 255 points, despite representing the same range of abilities as the first.

Hmmmm... Ok, when it comes to the slot cost it is up to the GM to determine what is a "short list" and everything above that. Also note that the slot cost does not limit what traits are available! The list could be:

innate attacks
DR
enhanced move
mind reading
languages
any skill

but then you could put a limitation on the MA so that it would only be for languages or "fire" as the focus (making languages not an option for that build).

Overall I think M.A. could use a reorganization and some clean up as to what it should be able to do.

I think the cost per slot should not exist because it makes no sense. Keep it at 5 per slot. The cost per point should stay the same but elaborated (what is "slow"? 1 second per point? 1 minute? hour? etc).

Once those have been explained it will be easier to do. As a GM you should have a clear picture in your head as to what you want this MA to do, which you have already. So I would not focus on the cost per slot.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote