Thread: Chinese Fantasy
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #11
warellis

Default Re: Chinese Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
In my limited experience, most martial arts films are at least implied and often stated to be in the Qing dynasty. The costumes roughly match, tobacco and eyeglasses may be in use, and so on. Wong Fei-Hung is practically a genre unto himself. The ones which aren't tend to carry implications of a more chaotic era, probably between the Han and the Tang. The Three Kingdoms period in particular sees a significant amount of action (most of that points more or less directly at Romance of the Three Kingdoms). Despite it being something of a golden age, I don't see a lot set in the Tang era that isn't drawn from Journey to the West.
Does that mean the wuxia shows where both the men and women have long hair and are wearing robes means they take place prior to the Qing dynasty?

I remember one where my mom told me it took place during one of the Chinese invasion of Korea. When the Chinese were wearing robes and had long hair instead of that pigtail thing the Manchurians made them style their hair in.

Last edited by warellis; 09-09-2017 at 03:16 PM.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote