View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
ULFGARD

Default Re: Harkwood - character points and players less-than-fluent in the language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'll go further and say that aside from the old-school gamers who constitute a dwindling minority of the RPG market, most players in 2013 want the movies-and-video-games heroes. This is part of why the Action and Dungeon Fantasy series kick off at 250 points, and why Monster Hunters starts at 400 points. Me, I'd never run a GURPS campaign on a budget smaller than 250 points just because I'd have no players . . . so I'd counsel ditching the implied zero-to-hero style of Harkwood and going with 250-point super-knights who can win 27 jousts and still have enough oomph left to hit the dungeon for some quick looting afterward.
I'd second that -- I'd go with DF Harkwood, which is totally doable. It's just becomes a bit more over the top.

Though I have run several lower powered games, I also ramp up fast enough that characters usually end up at the DF end of things by the end of a campaign (which usually means when we get tired of it).