View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
trans

Default Harkwood - character points and players less-than-fluent in the language

I've been diddling with starting a 4th Edition campaign in Harkwood for my son and some of his friends, building a set of characters that could be PCs or NPCs as the mood strikes. With 150 points and 40 in disads I just don't quite seem to get them to where they would be really fun to play.

Part of this is the kids' expectation that every elf is going to be like Legolas.
I guess the obvious solution is "no elves", or to bump up the points and the adversaries, but maybe there is another solution that I am not seeing.

My second question is about real-world language. Some of these kids have only three or four years of school English, which as we know isn't always of much practical value. So far I have thought of letting their characters have disads like Confused and the like to reflect this, or to use mouthpiece characters who speak different languages (and there are mouthpiece characters built into Harkwood - SJ Games comes through again!)

But if anyone has other ideas or experience with players who have limited language fluency, I'd like to hear about it.
trans is offline   Reply With Quote