View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #27
X the Unknown

Default Re: RPM Problems You Have

Ok, so sorry if this has been brought up elsewhere, but one of the things that confused us the most when we started using RPM was that you had to pay for everything. We would do Greater Transform Body (8) + Subject Weight: 300 lbs. (3) + Duration: 12 hours (6) = energy 54 (17x3) to make wings to let us fly somewhere. We didn't realize that all we did was create decorative body extensions that didn't give us flight, that didn't allow us an additional kind of attack, that didn't allow to buffet people close by with a 6d6, double knockback, no wounding blast of air. That in order to get all these you would have to pay for it, including the altered trait to grant us the flying skill as well a bestows a bonus in order to have that skill at more than attribute.

It would be great to see an exploration of the ubiquitous missile spell of the magic genre, the fireball, explored completely. From the simple 3d6 Fireball for 18 energy to the monstrosity 18d6, Homing, Greater 1/2D Range (so faster traveling), Explosive, Double Blunt Trauma, Double Knockback, Fragmentation missile with Cyclic sticky damage that has a Follow-Up, Area Effect cloud that causes an Affliction: Paralysis attack with a Side Effect of 3d6 of Corrosive Respiratory Agent... for 1,831 energy (approximately). Plus a few intermediate steps in between maybe. Plus ways you can't do things, and maybe ways you shouldn't do things because that cool effect will add only a little more damage for four times the cost.

So a full exploration of just one thing. Now this can't be done in print media, page count and all, but it could be done in a supplemental electronic media piece. I also know that RPM is a creative roleplaying magic system and it can be very rewarding to navigate through the rules, flexing them a bit, discovering sweet spots, and creating a ritual that you might not want to share, because it's cool and you made it. That's why I chose Fireball. I'm sure it's been beaten to death by everyone at this point, and no one will be giving away anything that secret. Besides, you can still keep the secret where you were able to gather all the right Correspondences so you can get that 1,831 energy ritual for 95% off and only pay 94 energy for it.

It also might be nice to do the same thing with a Super Soldier ritual, going from all Lesser effects that creates only a Slightly Better Soldier ritual, to the Irressistable Force ritual. I'm sure this one has also been done time and time again as well.

This would give people a great chance to see what can be done, how to do it, what not to do, without giving away every secret.

Last edited by X the Unknown; 02-22-2020 at 02:10 PM.
X the Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote