View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Limits of Ritual Path Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murezor View Post
I'm honored that you respond. Thanks, Chris R. I just noticed your thread from a couple days ago. Sorry I didn't just reply to that.
No worries. :-)

Quote:
First off, I should say that I've never used RPM in any capacity. I've only ever use the GURPS Magic system.
A good system. I use it when I want to run or play DF.

Quote:
In Spellmonger, magic is very similar to RPM. Mages draw power from the magisphere (or erionite - mana stones) and they can hang spells. Most of the powerful spells take time to cast or are pre-hung on an instrument. What I like about magic in the book is that mages have to be clever in crafting a spell that delivers the response they are looking for.
That sounds like RPM, yup.

Quote:
In the game I'm planning, it's easy enough for me to put limits on the paths. I.e. There either is or isn't gate magic. Etc. The issue I worry about is how to put limits on the paths themselves. For example, let's say I have Path of Matter and the player wants to change iron into gold during his down time to get rich. Maybe this is a bad example, but I guess I'm not sure if there are any limits to what a mage can do with RPM with enough time.
Well, you can turn iron to gold - but the counter is not in limiting the spell really (even though it only lasts as long as the Duration you use). The counter is in the setting itself. If folks know magic can make riches then people will be wary of them and have ways to test "mage-gold" from "gold."

Quote:
One more thing - there are several spells in Spellmonger that war mages cast in one second without hanging the spell. Is it possible in RPM to create a technique for a specific spell that the caster uses a lot to buy down the penalty for fast casting?
Not with energy-gathering RPM, with effect-shaping RPM you can get rote techniques. I suppose you could create a rot technique for EG-RPM as an Average technique - each 1 point gives you +1 to cast that spell and gather energy for it.

There is also a power-up PK suggested here.

My blog also has a lot of a suggestions/hacks for RPM.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote