View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 05:21 AM   #19
Celjabba

Default Re: Cost of clothing in Low-Tech Loadouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
It really is a problem, because you can't do that for campaigns that aren't set in the real world, or something close to it. Yes, for some historical games you can do the research, but for some the information isn't readily available. Besides, what's the point of having this stuff in the rules if it has to be ignored?
Let's say I am playing a one shot in setting X.
I did not (nor do I want to) build a complete setting economy.
My player ask me "Can I buy X"
I check Gurps X cost, Gurps income and Gurps CoL, and I answer Yes/No.

Easy : yes
Economicaly meaningful : who can tell for a fictional setting ?

If playing in real life, it is even faster to google the 3 numbers.
But the cost of bread on Coruscant, or Korben Dallas Taxi Driver income ....

If you play a campaign, and expect that economical matters will be relevant, you have to build a complete economy.
But if you just want a quick answer in the eventual case that a question is asked ... the generic rules is more than enough, in my opinion.

Quote:
And then there are the SF settings, at TL9+. We have no real world to sub in if we don't like GURPS' numbers, and the issues with excessive free money become much worse. At TL10 a normal wealth Status-0 job gets you $5,600/month, but Status-0 living is still only $600/month. So, by the RAW when the PC's say they need a bit of extra cash, and spend a few months between adventures, they get to save $5K/month, each.
In some (optimistic) settings, that would be adequate.
In other, absolutely not, you are correct.

Quote:
The Cost of Living Table needs to scale with TL. This probably also means that starting assets need to be changed from the current '10 months savings'.
Let's say we do it.
It would, I agree, be a much better match to current real world economic.

Then I come with a post-scarcity Future setting and complain that the cost of living should be a static number, with increasing TL showing the growing extra-income granted by automation, IA and robotics ...
There isn't, and cannot be, an 'always correct" rule. Whichever basic assumption you made, it will fit some setting well, and some, not.

Anyway, it is getting off-topic :)
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote