View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #23
Skarg

Default Re: 3 hex charge pole weapon rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
Im interested how you rationalize or imagine the lack of any additional damage when the pole weapon user charges (but only two hexes) at someone and they don't move?
I've never liked the 3-hex straight line idea, and prefer to not use that rule at all.

If I had to rationalize it, I'd say it's an abstract limit that requires some space to do an offensive charge attack effectively. It seems to me that a pole-weapon user has a clear advantage against someone else who is trying to close with them past the tip of their polearm, but if the polearm user is trying to close the range on someone else, that potentially gives up that situation - the target isn't moving their body towards the polearm, so the pole-arm user has to move their body towards the target to get solid leverage for a good skewering, which is harder.

But even if I thought that was important to represent, I don't think the 3-hex straight requirement works well anyway, because TFT has a shared movement phase for an entire side, that doesn't require a side to explain how they coordinate their movements at all. With enough MA and open ground, any number of polearm users are allowed to say they are making 3-hex straight-line charges through the same space. I.e. It seems like a weak/weird way to try to apply a space/movement requirement.

Last edited by Skarg; 10-31-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote