View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
El Ravager31

Default Re: How to go about making an Ultra Tech Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Okay, it doesn't look like you're under any illusion here, but I can't resist pointing out that realistically, there's no way an Ultra Tech bow would be a remotely sensible weapon.

That said, onward.

Force blades never care about the ST of the user. Making them into missile weapons wouldn't change that. The Force Blade at half a pound is really rather too heavy for an arrowhead, but you don't need 18" of blade for an arrowhead either, so perhaps you could miniaturize.

The classic way to make a bow do something other than fling pointy sticks is to use gadget arrowheads. UT doesn't directly address this, but...thimble grenades packing 25mm warheads are .06 pounds. That's within the weight range of perfectly reasonable arrowheads. Which means that it's more or less reasonable to have arrows tipped with any kind of 25mm warhead. (Including the Plasma Lance warheads from the designer's notes.) Which should really give you all the firepower you need! There are more sensible ways to deliver 25mm warheads than a bow, but there aren't a lot of targets that can stand up to them. If you really feel the need for more, the quarter-pound 40mm warheads are badly overweight for a normal arrow, but you could still shoot them for a moderate distance.
First off, I will say you're right that I certainly have no illusions with regards to the bow. I also want to say a big Thank You!! I actually had not seen the Designer's Notes before, and that helps a lot. It could really even be one of the smaller warheads (smaller than 25mm) because I really just don't want him to be completely at a disadvantage when they first make the jump to the higher tech level. Using something similar to the Plasma Lance would definitely allow him to be able to help the party out in a fight, especially until he could get the points and find someone to train him on beam weapons.

This really does help me out a lot, because I was thinking along the same line as you with the "pointy stick" thought. The damage would be good enough for scraps with normal lightly armored (for high tech that is) folk and that's mainly what they're going to have to worry about at first. By the time they're going up against the heavily armored (DR 30 or more) people, this character should have earned the points and found training for picking up skill with more appropriate weapons. Thanks again!
El Ravager31 is offline   Reply With Quote