View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Playability of STL Only Interstellar travel in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_nonsense View Post
Ideally I'd want the PC's homeworld to develop in the background from mid-late terraforming to planetary metropolis with it's own colony worlds but I think for that I might have to resort to fudging it.
The STL between worlds isn't really playable, it just takes too long relativistically, even with, or especially with, suspended animation travel between worlds, you're talking decades to centuries in travel times, you're better off with a separate colonial network.

Now, on the other hand, you can do many things in regards to wormhole networks.

You can have the PCs' homeworld and its colony worlds on a separate wormhole network which isn't joined to the primary network until later.

You can have the PCs' home network's connection to the primary network be through a stellar disruption which doesn't support ships over a certain tonnage.

You can have the PCs' home network be on a different "frequency" from the primary network requiring different engine/ship types to transverse it.

You can have the PCs' home network's connection to the primary network be through a stellar disruption which only allows intermittent connection.

You can have the PCs' home network's connection to the primary network be through a dangerous stellar disruption, like a supernova, or a red giant, which hasn't allowed ships to cross it for centuries, it either recovers, or the wormhole was destroyed, or a new connection is built.

You can have the PCs' home network's connection to the primary network be through a dangerous stellar cluster which had been take over by aliens, cutting off the networks and causing the PCs' ancestors to shut down the connector to prevent enemy incursions.

Etc.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote