View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #21
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Question on when to use Social Stigma vs Odious Racial Habit on Monster Races

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I'm on the record of finding racial Appearance problematic, mostly[1] because I don't know what to do with something like e.g. a Minotaur (racial Hideous) who is particularly ugly to other Minotaurs. Do they just "upgrade" to Monstrous? What if non Minotaurs don't get the problem?
This is explained in detail on page 128 of Fantasy. Short version is add the Universal modifier to Appearance.

Do note that sometimes it makes sense for a technically racial template to provide an 'in-race' appearance, e.g. a genetically upgraded human with Attractive is attractive to humans (including to other upgrades, which are subsets of humans), but will not be noticed by a Vorlon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
[1] That, and I'm confused why e.g. Catfolk don't get a Racial appearance penalty for looking like animals, but Minotaurs do; cattle don't get a racial appearance problem so it's not that we hate cows. I can totally see some animals suffering with a racial appearance penalty from Humans - turkey-headed people would have a struggle in human society.
There seems to be a matter of what appearance others expect from someone. E.g. humans don't expect cows to have a primate face, but they do expect bipedal sapients to be more primate-like.