View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #30
rsqrdroberts

Default Re: [RPM] Altered Traits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
If I were to write a theoretical "GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic Companion" this is one of the things I would cover in some detail. But even with such detail there would still be things I couldn't go into or cover and the GM would be in the same position.
Yes. Please write "GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic Companion."

I created a new thread that should have been a reply to this thread, so I am going to be doing more damage by re-asking it here. Apologies in advance.

Take Silence (RPM p. 49) vs. Ghost Shirt (RPM p. 43).

Silence is a spell that just has Greater Destroy Energy and Area of Effect, with no Altered Traits for 48 energy (15x3). Ghost Shirt has Greater Control Energy and an Altered Traits based on Damage Resistance for 135 energy (45x3). How do these fit in with Ghostdancer's guidelines?

My question comes from considering a spell that would de-cohere Laser to just a bright, mostly harmless, light source. Should it be a simple Greater Destroy Energy, a simple Greater Transform Energy, or should I start adding Damage Reduction with Limited, Force Shield, Hardened, and other "expenses?" My gut tells me use the straight up Destroy or Transform Energy, but then I look over at Ghost Shirt...