View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #25
Icelander

Default Re: Modern Monster Hunting Guns [XM500, MICOR Leader 50, etc.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Ah Ok I didn't realise the Blk was the driving force here, TBF as you mentioned earlier as legality isn't really going to be an issue in MH you can get round that issue in a couple of ways (but may end up removing what advantage the Alexander had). You bulk -5 .50 BMG, will also weigh a lot more as well.

I have to say IME slight differences in Bulk rarely comes up in play, if your running and gunning the difference between -4 and -5 to hit with no aim bonuses isn't going to make that much difference. (Similar to a 1 point difference between high Rcl)

However as skill increases that may change as move and attack because less of an issue.
Bulk is mainly important in terms of concealing weapons while getting to the mission area. It also matters in CCQ situations, where monsters may tackle the hunters.

Bulk -4* means that a gun may be hidden in a space where no Bulk -5 weapon can fit. It also means a relative +2 to Holdout or Smuggling skill, which is important.

Quote:
True, (although it would seem apart from capacity it could do it as well if not better)
Shotguns have their roles, but with Rcl 5-6 for high-power slugs in short weapons, not to mention Weight Per Shot of 0.18 to the 0.08-0.1 for powerful hunting rounds made to work in semi-automatic AR-15 or AR-10 actions, they are a poor choice for replacing a standard carbine.

Quote:
If you could rank your priorities in terms of stats for your gun what would it be? Are you wanting FA or SA. Personally I'd say FA at high Rcl is a bit redundant, and your capacity is not going to match your RoF anyway. But if you going to rely on edge stuff like 4 round bursts than Ok, but you'll still run dry pretty quick with these larger rounds I think.
Carbines which need to be Bulk -4*, battle rifles which need to be Bulk -5* and sharpshooter/anti-materiel rifles that are Bulk -5. All of these need to balance ammunition capacity (Shots, WPS, time to reaload) and ease of rapidly engaging multiple targets (Acc, Rcl, ROF) with power (Dmg, Range). For human targets, that balance leans toward 'enough to seriously wound a human' for power and then the other considerations are most important. For monstrous targets I'm moving the power requirement up to around 5d-6d pi+ for carbines, ca 7d pi+ for battle rifles and higher than that for sharpshooter/anti-materiel rifles. It also helps if one or more of these weapons can be used suppressed with any amount of efficiency.

We already have GURPS stats for the breaching/multi-purpose shotguns, which at least one team member would be likely to carry.