Thread: THS 2120!
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: THS 2120!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
CPUs in TS in 4e probably are still optical. It's the things that are connected to them that can't be all optical like sensors and actuators and other such items. Just a little more realism for 4e.
Of course we don't know what TL10 sensors are like - perhaps they are as different from electronics as electronic sensors differ from TL5 sensors. Trying to retcon stuff just produces inconsistencies. If Mars doesn't deserve a retcon, then this definitely doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Comparing memetics to Presidential campaigns unfavorably ignores that all but one challengers for a political office fail and the rules are set up so that one of them has to win in the end.

I expect that what a truly scientific study of memes would show was that almost all advertising and propaganda doesn't work.

The 3e version of Memetics Skill which boosted your ability will other Social Skills was maybe realistic and at least somewhat useful. The 4e version of a (apparently) learnable Talent is kind of kludge-like.

If you really want rules for Voodoo Mind Control use any version of that you like. I've never had any use for any of them and that is probably why I've never noticed your issues.
Rules are set up that one wins in the end. But notice that it's not unusual for a single candidate to pick 50% of the vote in the first vote, negating the need to even run the second tour.

And yet we have tens of percent people rallying behind single candidates (the ones with the most successful propaganda campaign). As opposed to there being hundreds of candidates and an overwhelming majority of the vote split between those who have less than 1% each. So even at TL6-TL8 it seems to hold some decent effectiveness. Something 1-2 TLs higher should be better than TL8, particularly when the setting pays so much attention to how much of a breakthrough the invention is.

Saying that something is very powerful and a big deal and then having the rules not match the setting is just wrong.

(The removal of the skill bonus has more to do with purely system-design decisions; I agree it's clumsy but keeping it as-is wouldn't fit in the updated system either.)