Thread: THS 2120!
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #17
Fred Brackin

Default Re: THS 2120!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
In older THS books, computers/shells/etc. are described as outright not caring about surge attacks. In newer books, you notice that they are described as merely a bit more resistant than older tech, and even that only for military models:

Toxic Memes describes mechanics for memetics that are at least useful (though they seem to have a hard time competing with TL8 presidental elections with heavy TL8 propaganda); then a Pyramid article came out which made memetic campaigns barely able to make someone willing to make a modest monetary contribution to a cause.
CPUs in TS in 4e probably are still optical. It's the things that are connected to them that can't be all optical like sensors and actuators and other such items. Just a little more realism for 4e.

Comparing memetics to Presidential campaigns unfavorably ignores that all but one challengers for a political office fail and the rules are set up so that one of them has to win in the end.

I expect that what a truly scientific study of memes would show was that almost all advertising and propaganda doesn't work.

The 3e version of Memetics Skill which boosted your ability will other Social Skills was maybe realistic and at least somewhat useful. The 4e version of a (apparently) learnable Talent is kind of kludge-like.

If you really want rules for Voodoo Mind Control use any version of that you like. I've never had any use for any of them and that is probably why I've never noticed your issues.