View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Chronic Oain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
Drowsy is listed as an Irritating Condition on page B428,
Whoops! Sorry, I searched for "Drowsiness" rather than "Drowsy" in my PDF, and I guess I didn't read the actual Irritating Conditions section very thoroughly. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti
I priced it with those effects at +50% (or a base cost of 12.5 points), the same as Daze, as it seems generally just as limiting. You can also justify a price of +50% as follows: the penalties of Daze are roughly the same as those for Moderate Pain, at +20%, while the tendency to fall asleep can simply be treated as Secondary Sleep, +30% (+150% / 5).
I definitely see the logic of pricing Drowsiness at at least the same as Moderate Pain. However, I'd argue that the extra +30% isn't justified. The value of Secondary effects on Afflictions, it seems to me, are priced on the assumption that Affliction can target someone over and over. Hit someone with Sleep enough times, and even if they have to fail their HT roll by 5 or more, they will do so eventually. Whereas the sleep effect from Drowsiness is one roll every two hours, and they have to be inactive hours to boot. The odds of actually failing that just aren't that high. I'd price the sleep effect at no more than an extra +10%, personally, for a total of +30% as an Affliction enhancement, or 7.5 base cost in your Chronic Affliction scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti
This is a problem with anything that afflicts Sleep with a duration. An easy solution is to take a cue from the above: If you're woken up while still in the duration of a Sleep affliction, you suffer from Drowsy and are thus liable to fall back asleep (and have attribute penalties in the meantime).
This, I definitely agree with. I might even argue that if you fall asleep and are woken prematurely, you count as having some levels of missed sleep, so even after it wears off, you still need to sleep a couple more hours the next time you actually sleep properly, just to recover.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote