View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
Celti

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Chronic Oain

I'm going to take these points in reverse order for reasons I hope will become obvious:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I'm curious, where did you see Drowsiness given an Affliction price? Or did you price it yourself? If the latter, what's the game effect you gave it?
Drowsy is listed as an Irritating Condition on page B428, but Affliction does not give it a price, no. I priced it with those effects at +50% (or a base cost of 12.5 points), the same as Daze, as it seems generally just as limiting. You can also justify a price of +50% as follows: the penalties of Daze are roughly the same as those for Moderate Pain, at +20%, while the tendency to fall asleep can simply be treated as Secondary Sleep, +30% (+150% / 5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
This price works fine for most irritating and incapacitating conditions, but I think Sleep is a bit over-priced. -38 points is a bit high, I think, given that you can be woken up from sleep pretty easily, and you're not really in danger of falling asleep again as long as you're doing something active. And if you can't be woken up, you're basically just suffering from Unconsciousness. I'd suggest either lowering the value of Sleep, or just disallowing it entirely.
This is a problem with anything that afflicts Sleep with a duration. An easy solution is to take a cue from the above: If you're woken up while still in the duration of a Sleep affliction, you suffer from Drowsy and are thus liable to fall back asleep (and have attribute penalties in the meantime).
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote