View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Skill Defaults Err? Also 40K flavour Qs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungnif View Post
As for the skills thing, I'm now thoroughly bewildered. In the 4e core books you can learn martial arts as skills. Brawling, Judo (not Jiu-Jitsu, my bad), Karate and Wrestling all appear to be self-contained martial arts that each do slightly different things.

Have I misunderstood something?
Not really. There are a number of martial arts skills.

Brawling
Boxing
Karate
Wrestling
Sumo Wrestling
Karate

Each of these is a martial arts skill --- but each of them can stand in for other martial arts. For example, Jiu-Jitsu would be bought using the Judo skill, because its close enough. Tae kwan Do would be bought as Karate, because they are both "advanced striking" skills.

But each "Martial Arts skill" is either for striking or for grappling. If your martial art includes both, you should buy both a striking and a grappling skill. Actually, I recommend that most heroes buy both.

Styles are something other than skills. They were introduced in the Gurps: Martial Arts Book. They include a list of skills you should have to be considered a practitioner of a "complete" martial art. For example, some Karate variants include Savior-faire (dojo) and Karate Art, While Krav Maga includes both Karate and Wrestling. A style suggests what techniques and perks you use to make a practitioner in that style. You don't need them for even combat heavy games, though they are nice.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote