View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #62
Refplace

Default Re: Coast Guard response to distress call on Jewell Island, ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Yep, but once the cutter is sent, what can they do?

They can presumably disembark at the docks and search the mothballed Coast Guard facility without a warrant. What about the mental institution?

If the guards tell them that the prank has led to a tense situation, but the guard force can handle it and anyone new coming in risks escalation, can the Coast Guard demand to search the whole complex without warrants?
There its really up to social engineering.
Its not a private facility and its protected by them so I doubt they need a warrant to search. On the other hand I doubt the first responder would force the issue. They would ask permission for a routine search and you to be presented. Denying either would be a red flag.
Most likely they would call for a decision at that point unless they felt immediate danger.
If they land and you guys see it a few gunshots should do the trick. If denied landing that should do it as well.
If it all looks quiet and the Deputy Commander is convincing enough or nothing found further action may be stalled. Up to the higher ups at that point and your boss will likely have some input.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote