View Single Post
Old 12-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: High-Tech advanced body armor: DR 35, 5 vs crushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The DR 35 is the same as those military sponsored items. The dR5 is the same as the best "standard" scale though not what you could get with the best metal in Low Tech.
I'm seeing references to level IV (AP 7.62x51) sections now, which would seem to fit the DR 35.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The real and indisputable problem was the adhesive that held everything together failing in the Iraqi heat (I've heard 130F). Either a classical hidden "crit fail" in development problem in gaming terms or an example of the systematic underestimation of how bad real world military conditions can be. The latter has been quite common over the years.
That is certainly a claim that was made, but true or not it was definitely not undisputed at the time and I've not seen supporting follow-up data. It seems fuzzy enough to keep the 'just politics' interpretation viable.

(Also, while Pinnacle Armor went out of business, the armor (at the NIJ III level, not the full military version) does appear to be in production and available.)