View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
doulos05

Default Re: GURPS Magic Flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It won't go far on the battlefield. If the wizard is of average Wealth and spends all $1000 on a Powerstone he gets a 7 pt stone.

The important thing is that it only recharges 1 pt per day. No matter how many stones you have or how big they are that's the usual recharge limit

A 7pt stone is best held as an emergency reserve for unplanned Healings or similar things. An extra 1 pt/day on the battlefield (average) is probably not worth $1000 but saving 1 or even 2 characters might be.

People whoa re serious about casting spells more frequently usually go for Energy Reserve or if their budget is large enough they go for FP Regeneration.

Powerstones might rate ahead of Healing potions in value per $ but a wizard still needs at least one of those to heal himself when he's wounded. Healing spells on himself take a minus equal to the number of HP a wizard has lost.
OK, so it sounds like the smart build is to sink character points into ER (Magic). But I didn't see that on the Battle Mage template in Banestorm so I had forgotten about that advantage. Did it not make that template because of RL timing issues (Didn't Banestorm come out before Powers, which is the first mention of ER I can find in my books?) or was there another reason?
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote