Thread: Magical Styles
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #30
Xenophile

Default Re: Magical Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Remember that Martial Arts style costs all include a point for an implicit Style Familiarity perk. It would be necessary (and interesting!) to define this for magical styles. By analogy to fighting styles, the definition might look something like this:

Style Familiarity

1 point/style

Style Familiarity means you've studied and/or practiced a magical style in sufficient detail to understand the thaumatological principles that undergird its spells. You must pay a point for familiarity with any style you know. Effects are as follows:

• You can always use spells such as Counterspell and Ward against any of the style's spells, at full skill, even if you don't know the spell you're trying to cancel or deflect.

• You can acquire the style's spells simply by spending earned points in play, avoiding lengthy training and/or expensive guild fees. You can still learn spells the hard way if you lack unspent points, at the usual rate of 200 hours of instruction per point.

• You're familiar with the style's culture, and neither you nor anyone teaching you suffers the -3 for lack of Cultural Familiarity when using the Teaching skill to convey the style's knowledge.

• In most settings, you have the equivalent of a 1-point Claim to Hospitality (p. B41) with a guild or an archmage.
Kromm... In my thread... Commenting on... My homerules... Not worthy... Hyperventilating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1
That's great! I hope that you publish it or otherwise put it up somewhere online as an optional rule. I suppose it is just a tad too late to get it included in GURPS Thaumatology
Did I just become part of Thaumatology's development? OHCRAPI'MGOINGTODIE!