Thread: Magical Styles
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 AM   #29
Greg 1

Default Re: Magical Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroKirby
Been following the thread and I have to say that its an interesting idea. Wanted to toss in a few ideas I've come up with for my campaign based off of it. Let me know what ya think.
Similarly, I would be very interested indeed in any comments, questions or suggestions that anyone has about my styles.

Quote:
Stonesong – 5 points
Stonesong is the magical tradition of the dwarves. Its practitioners (often called Stonesingers) use the spirits of earth in many different ways. A stonesinger sing deeply in the dwarven language to use his magic and uses the lowest of his skill with the spell or his singing skill for the roll (whichever is lower). Stonesingers are also taught the basics of runesmithing as well, allowing them to craft magical items. They must seek training for the different runes separately.

Skills: Masonry; Ritual Magic (Stonesong); Singing; Symbol Drawing (Runesmithing).
Spells (all default to Ritual Magic (Stonesong): Armor; Awaken Craft Spirit; Counterspell; Divination (Geomancy); Earth to Stone; Earth Vision; Entombment; Explode (earth, stone, or metal only); Find Weakness (earth, stone, or metal only); Flesh to Stone; Identify Metal; Inspired Creation; Metal Vision; Predict Earth Movement; Repair (earth, stone, or metal only); Seek Earth; Seek Pass; Shape Earth; Shape Metal; Sharpen (earth, stone, or metal only); Shatter (earth, stone, or metal only); Stone to Earth; Stone to Flesh; Toughen (earth, stone, or metal only); Weaken (earth, stone, or metal only).
I like it. It is flavorful and the ability to craft magical items with rune magic gives the style a lot more flexability, in the long term, than it might otherwise have had.

How do Dwarves cope with their lack of Healing magic? Do they seek bring in outsiders, or send their mages away to learn other styles, or just lump it?

What about Meta spells to use in conjunction with their Stonesong magic? Do they bring in outsiders, send their mages away to learn other styles, or just lump it?

How hard is it for a Dwarven mage to learn another style too? How hard is it for a non-Dwarf to learn Stonesong?
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote