Thread: Magical Styles
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #27
RGTraynor

Default Re: Magical Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1
What is a "Consonant Spell College"?

Ah, well ... first off, by way of explanation, I tore the standard spell colleges apart (hrm, twenty years ago now, actually) and put them back together as I preferred; hence ones that might ring no bells. In my campaign, "consonant colleges" - the term being an OOC mechanic - are the ones falling under your specialty, and learning spells within them are not only relatively easy, but it's easy to find teachers. Beyond that, I require of all mages that at least 50% of their spells be from consonant colleges. Non-consonant colleges are extremely difficult to learn, partially due to the magics being inimical to one another, partially due to societal and peer pressures. Everything not listed is in-between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1
Can they overcome this prohibition by studying another magical style? In other words, are these simply abilities that their magic doesn't cover, or does their magical style actually prevent them from having these abilities?

These are formalized wizardly orders; I don't think I'd outright prohibit a character from leaving one order and joining another, but it's about as likely as someone resigning from the Grand Army of the Republic a hundred years back to join the Confederate Veterans of America. I doubt I'll retrofit the look to match the martial arts styles template. Obviously, YMMV.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote