View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Sdrolion

Default Re: Dodge and Bombardment

Apologies for resurrecting something here, but...returning to GURPS after a while away, and was refreshing my memory on some of this stuff. In another forum post a while back (um...seven years ago...), I was questioning Area Attacks and options for dodging them, and asked if it was possible to set up an area attack that attacked people in the area individually and was then dodgeable like ordinary innate attacks. Folks responded that I should look at Bombardment as that was what I wanted.

It's somewhat unclear in the text, but I did kind of feel on rereading that it would be dodgeable - instead of being a true "area" effect it just "attacks" everyone in the area. I.E. Instead of being an "area effect" it has now become a collection of separate "attacks," which could theoretically be dodged.

Here is the relevant forum post from that old discussion: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=13

I might be misinterpreting something (and only getting -5% off for forcing the skill to roll at 14 and allowing the target to dodge maybe feels a little low...although it's also fairly in line with the later "blockable" limitation, which is worth 5%), but it feels possible that was the intent?

Otherwise...I wonder if it might be reasonable to just create a "dodgable" limitation that's also worth -5% and apply it to regular Area of Effect stuff? Just looking for a way to create an area effect modifier whose only real benefit is that it allows you to simultaneously attack everything in the area - otherwise treating it just like they got attacked by regular ranged innate attacks.
Sdrolion is offline   Reply With Quote