Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #21
Michele

Default Re: In the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I think this is a useless digression.
Probably.

Quote:
For roleplaying purposes, omnipotence has no value.
I'd say it's invaluable.

Quote:
And yeah, Blindness is the same as never opening your eyes for any reason whatsoever. If the option doesn't exist to break a vow, it's not a Vow. It's something else. Which is why Can't Wear Armor is the same thing as Won't Wear Armor Under Any Circumstances No Take Backs
Which is not what I wrote. I think I defined the Vow as "in given circumstances".

Quote:
Which enables me to segue back to the real subject. Unless you have players actually playing your gods the distinction between "Aren't creating new worlds" and "Are creating new worlds, but the players will never get a chance to see them" is meaningless. For the purposes of the game the two options play out exactly the same.
Well, point taken. _My_ point, looking at it from the RPG POV, is that for a character, it is one thing to be able to say:

"we know no Gods exist, or if they exist, we know they won't ever interfere down here under-any-circumstances-no-take-backs"

Or

"we think the Gods are under certain self-imposed restrictions to their interventions, so that their actual interventions are so rare that they might even not exist - but we also know that people claim miracles happen from time to time".

There is a difference, expecially if one ponders the alternative while he is facing a short-tempered holy man who says: "move another step and the Gods will smite you with a lightning bolt".

At this point, I'd suggest having a look at the preview of GURPS Powers: Divine Favor.