View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #7
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: Eliminating bookkeeping in Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
I'll let Chris speak for himself, but I assume he's defining "stunned" as what happens in normal TFT when a figure takes 5 points of damage (i.e., a -2 DX). "Staggered" would be an alternative term, I suppose.
Yes, of course I assumed that too; however, If you go back and re-read the rule entitled: REACTION TO INJURIES, in Advanced Melee, page 18, I believe you will find that not only is the word: stun, NOT present, there is the distinct absence of even any such reference, nor inference, to any such state-of-being.

What IS present however, are the assigned DX penalties as the reactions to injuries, as they manifest as a reduction of Dexterity; where Dexterity enjoys the generally accepted definition of: "skill in performing tasks, especially with the hands."

Dexterity: "skill in performing tasks, especially with the hands."; hence, the reduction of DX via penalty.

Stun: "knock unconscious or into a dazed or semiconscious state, so that they are temporarily unable to react."; hence, my suggestion to consider measuring the stun effect in loss of turns; and not as reduction to DX on the next turn while in action.

So I hope you and Chris can both see exactly why I point this out, as the premise as presented addresses the temporary reduction of skillfulness at the task of combat (DX) while IN ACTION, while employing a term which is generally accepted as relating to a figure in a state of INACTION.

What do you both think about measuring stun in loss of turns, if one wanted to simulate a STUN effect in game-terms?
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote