View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 05:40 AM   #18
RobW

Default Re: Demo of how to GM TFT on roll20

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
This experience is why I asked how he places the megahexes or hexes on the map layer. I am assuming that they're already sized correctly. Hopefully, I can learn something.
I can tell you what I do if it's helpful? When I place a megahex or other image on the map (or GM) layer, roll20 basically ignore the size of the image and scales it to fit within a hex. In some of the example images above, you can see plain hexagons of different colours. They have been scaled by roll20 to fit within a hex (as opposed to fill it).

Roll20 does allow a easy snap-to-grid scaling, which can be used to adjust image size. But this does not help when I'm laying out megahexes , because the megahexes need to fill their megahex, not simply fit within them. Hope that makes sense so far.

So the first thing I do when making a map is drag a single megahex image onto the map, and carefully resize it so that it fills the megahex. This is usually my base white megahex with a boundary. I've got a little bit of technique for this resizing now, once I realised that what I'm really doing is adjust the sides of a square image! I can explain further if useful.

Anyway, once I have the single, properly scaled megahex, it's a copy and paste paste paste operation. Sometimes but not usually the paste puts the megahex just where it should be. But with snap-to-grid on, it is easy to arrange the megahexes. I arrange as I go rather than paste ten times and then arrange 10 megahexes.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote