View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: ultra tech beam weapons versus modern weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibberingmouther View Post
so i'd prefer tanks to be as powerful as they are in TL 8, etc. i'd rather just make it so a skilled group of aliens flying around with a laser cannon can use it to puncture armor and go for the tank's "vitals" to quickly take it out.
Fair enough! I'd certainly recommend picking up Ultra-Tech if you're looking for more tech options for your aliens. X-ray lasers aren't even the best beam weapons in there (you can get ones with armor divisors of 10, rather than 5, for instance), and it's got lots of other fun toys for the aliens to play with.

But you don't need to buy Ultra-Tech if you don't want to, either. If you know what sort of DR and HP you want to give your TL 8 vehicles, you can just make up stats for weapons that will regularly penetrate their armor and bring them down to killing-level HP. Ultra-Tech is guesswork, remember - reasonably good, well-researched guesswork, by and large, sure. But still, guesswork. If you just make up weapon stats on your own, they can be plausible. Just do the math to make sure they're killing tanks at a rate you're comfortable with. :)
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote