View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Prince Charon

Default Re: Alternate Forms as Alternate Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
God doesn't automatically mean omnipotent, I've always preferred the 'very powerful beings' appraoch of GURPS Spirits to 'handwaive them' approach of GURPS Religion. Not sure which of those 3E approaches is taken in 4E.
I do agree, but OTOH, I prefer to avoid the 'it has stats, therefore we can kill it' approach of D&D. Also, for anything that gets put on-line, I really don't want to have gods that people can argue the power levels of (especially beings that are actively worshiped now-in-real-life), because that's a recipe for a flame-war. That's the main reason I prefer to use made-up gods or gods who have no or a very small modern following in the stuff I'm preparing for publication, or use GURPS Banestorm's 'no active gods' approach (because if I allow Divine Favor to a Christian, a Muslim, a Welsh Neopagan, and a Shintoist, and some of them aren't on the same side... well, you can imagine how this could cause problems).

Also why I use a more-or-less 'handwave them' approach in Five Earths: They could have stats, but mortals cannot comprehend them, nor compare the power level of God X to Goddess Y in a meaningful fashion, and the gods of separate pantheons prefer not to directly conflict with each other, anyway.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote