View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #24
Skarg

Default Re: Two quick questions about dragonets

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Right, but this means that the battle has no attacks (barring unlikely missile or thrown attacks) for roughly half of the turns on average, 2/3 of the turns if the players have a tactician. Whenever the dragonets move first, they flutter away. When they move second, they attack. That's pretty dull.
That doesn't seem accurate to me, especially if the GM keeps the real-time pace moving. If no one has an action, the turn is over. Roll initiative. Move. Take whatever action, if any. Repeat.

Also, if the players are impatient, when they win initiative, they can decide to let the dragonets move second, and fight them.

Moreover, I think that situations where foes are at some sort of stalemate can become pretty tense, particularly if the noise may be drawing unwanted attention from who-knows-what else, and/or anything is going on where players want to get things done quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The central bit of Axly's suggestion is not that they engage from above. We all agree on that. Axly says that this engagement precludes shifting out of the hex.
Yes. It seems to me that the point of Engagement is that if someone gets in reach of you for a melee attack, you can't cheese the I-Go, You-Go movement system by just moving away, because they'd get an opportunity to attack you. There are several ways to preserve that effect for the unique 0-range dragonets, such as:

1) Axly's suggestion the victim can't shift away.

2) My earlier suggestion that you could shift, but the dragonet would shift with you as you did.

3) You could use the common "you don't engage me" house rule, and say you can shift away, but if you do, your foe gets to attack you as you do, and change facing to react to your shift.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote