View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #24
Tomsdad

Default Re: Negative Hit Point effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrewster1 View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the information. I have a lot more insight now as to how movement can affect combat. In my mock combat, I basically had 2 fighters toe to toe slugging it out, so to speak. But if the unslowed character moves out of range of the injured character, isn't it a Move & Attack at -4 to get back into range without being attacked herself? Otherwise, they are back on even footing again, as long as the injured party keeps making HT rolls.

I will definitely look at the effects in the Martial Arts books, and I'm already considering some house rules around repeated shock. In my combat, the injured party was kicked for at least 3 points of damage every turn for 5 rounds, but missed in the 6th round, so no penalty to his attack after that. I'd think he'd be reeling for more than 1 second after being kicked 5 times in a row.
Basically again as Kelly Pedersen said, once one drops to half Mv the other has several ways to play distance games with them.

Lets assume both are base Mv6 to begin with which means All out Attack is 3 yard, move and attack is 6 yards.

But when Mv6 is halved to Mv3 All out Attack is 1 yard (since you round down) leaving you with Move and Attack at 3 yards if you want to do more than step, or All out Attack long to get a movement of 1 plus an extra yard of reach.

Step doesn't change for either at any point, (which also means a committed attack will allow for 2 steps if you go with the 2 step option).

So depending on what weapons are being used the person still on Mv6 can take a move action* to open the distance and stay within their Move and Attack range building some evaluates stepping back if their half Mv opponent tries to close the distance before they're ready.

Additionally while our Mv3 combatant has a couple of options for trying to surprise their opponent with quicker movement than 1 step. Committed attack (2 yards plus reach), AoA long (1 yard plus reach+1), AoA Slam (3 yards), Move and Attack (3 yards plus reach). Those options tend to involve removing their own option to retreat or a hefty penalty. And of course their opponent can retreat putting another yard between them in response!

The longer this goes on for not only is our Mv6 combatant racking up evaluates, but our Mv3 opponent is rolling to stay conscious and all the rest.

Now our Mv3 person can just not play that game and stay put and choose "do nothing" actions, and so don't risk dropping unconscious either. Except if they do that and your GM is using the realistic injury rules than pretty soon they'll be taking penalties direct to DX

*or even take a move and attack action where the attack comes early in the Movement and the remaining movement then opens the distance.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 02-14-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote