View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #22
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Negative Hit Point effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrewster1 View Post
I have a lot more insight now as to how movement can affect combat. In my mock combat, I basically had 2 fighters toe to toe slugging it out, so to speak. But if the unslowed character moves out of range of the injured character, isn't it a Move & Attack at -4 to get back into range without being attacked herself? Otherwise, they are back on even footing again, as long as the injured party keeps making HT rolls.
Remember that Move and Attack gives you a -4 penalty to hit and prevents you from parrying with the weapon you used to attack and prevents you from Retreating before your next turn.

In a duel situation like that, the unwounded fighter (call him fighter A) should have used a Move to break contact and move away from his opponent (fighter B), and then let fighter B chase after him. This sets up three options:
* If Fighter B stays still, Doing Nothing, then Fighter A can use Move maneuvers to circle around him at a distance, trying to get behind him. This forces Fighter B to either risk getting All-Out Attacked from behind, or taking some other maneuver to turn and risking unconsciousness. Even with HT 12, he's pretty unlikely to stay standing for 5 seconds.

* If Fighter B uses an All-Out Attack to close the distance and attack, Fighter A can hopefully defend against one round of attacks (he can still retreat, after all) and then try something like an attack to the vitals or face against his defenseless foe.

* If Fighter B uses a Move and Attack, he's unlikely to hit with a maximum skill of 9. Assuming the two fighters end up facing each other and Fighter B attacked with his right arm weapon, Fighter A can then All-Out Attack to step to his left and step again into Fighter B's right flank hex. Fighter A then makes two attacks, or an attack at +2 damage, or an attack to the vitals, skull, or face, and Fighter B's only defense is a Dodge - at half his normal Dodge and with another -2 penalty for an attack from the flank. Even if Fighter B is a dodgy ninja who started the fight with a Dodge of 12, he's rolling against a 4.

When Fighter B hits 0 HP, he's at an enormous disadvantage if his opponent plays it smart.