Thread: Powerstones
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #40
hal

Default Re: Powerstones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Hal,

I'll agree that if you aren't in danger at all (safe at home), then indeed bless would not negate a critical failure. However, if you were in an environment where there was always a level of possibly immediate danger (like most dungeon crawls), I'd say a strict reading of bless indicates that it does. The spell doesn't say the recipient has to be in immediate danger, only in danger.

-Polaris
In re-reading what you wrote, are you saying that if you cast the spell while in a dungeon, but in no immediate danger at that precise moment from the spell's crit failure, that you expect the bless to kick in? If so, then I'd have to wonder what the danger of the spell itself presents to your character at that precise moment for the bless to kick in. As GM, I'd say "um, no danger to you at this precise moment, so no bless kicking in."

If you want to debate the merits that you need that powerstone in the next half hour (because that is how long it will take for you to recover your lost fatigue spent on a 1 point Charge Powerstone spell casting) - I'd have to say "um, no". Danger is the immediate moment at which the failed roll needs to be modified in some fashion. The example given states that it won't avert that arrow aimed at your heart, but it might divert it so it hits your arm instead (for a 1 point blessing) etc. The conditional "In danger" implies to me - that it is the IMMEDIATE danger, otherwise, it doesn't affect the die rolls and then expire.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote