View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #20
Engurrand

Default Re: Powerstone historical names

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Though they will sometimes accumulate negative energy and need to be discharged (the equivalent of buffer/favor stones).
You know, that's a good point. I hadn't thought of it that way, but negative energies totally do accumulate and then need to be negated or (often) passed off to a hapless proxy.

But back to my main question: setting aside that objects in mythology do not usually work in the way that gurps powerstones do, I'd still like to make a list of flavorific words that could, with a little willful suspension of disbelief, substitute for "powerstone" - ideally words which have roots in different ancient traditions. I suppose I'm just asking 'does anybody know non-english words that could mean charmstone?' but the question is more open than that.
  • Shaktimani - Sanskrit means literally Power Stone
  • Vajra - also Sanskrit, or Dorja in Tibetean, word means literally diamond, but also literally thunderbolt. It is the name for a kind of wand used in ritual, symbolic for a weapon wielded by Indra, and representing force of will and spiritual power.
  • Kaut - Egyptian
  • Swynion - Welsh for a charm or talisman.
  • Buachloch - Irish for talisman.
  • Smaragdos - A green mineral described by Heroditus, which shines brightly at night.