View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #15
starslayer

Default Re: help with an attack turret ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
If you're thinking of the druidic Allies in Dungeon Fantasy 5, they're Conjurable, not Summonable - they require a reaction roll each time you call one up, and if that fails, they won't help. It explicitly notes that Allies that this doesn't apply to, where you're calling up the same one each time, are much harder to replace. The rules for Divine Allies, which are referenced there, admittedly don't require re-purchasing the Ally with character points. However, they impose what I'd consider equally-strenuous requirements, of month-long penance periods, significant cash loss, or whatever else the GM deems appropriate.

For circumstances like this, where the Allies are basically constructions rather than people, I'd be okay with ruling that the PC could replace destroyed Allies without paying character points for them again, as long as the replacement process was equally significant as the above - spending 50% of campaign starting wealth on a new drone turret, for example, or waiting a month for your gadgeteer pal to build and test a new one.
Right, but minion allies does need reaction rolls. So a conjurable, minion ally will be trivially replaced in a day if it dies, and always obey you.

Kromm also postulated an ally advantage for 'directly controlled by the player' that I think was +300% (it was a long time ago), which may be applicable here (so the ally is controlled by the player instead of by the GM and can perform actions that are not in its best interests if they are in the players planning best interests).

It won't be cheap compared to a 'normal' ally, but it still won't be overly expensive compared to a weird trick build of innate attack.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote