View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: GURPS non-Phobia technophobia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah just like those "moron" Mennonites that have irrigation, symbolic language, organized religion, yokes, fire, saddles, wagons, houses, domesticated animals, domesticated grains and clothing? 0_o

Communities that reject some arbitrary level of technology in order to live in an argraian society exist in the real world. Saying they reject "technology" isn't uncommon, even if isn't technically true.
I hate those silly strawman arguments too. Oh you choose not to do everything we do? Then you're obviously being yourselves hypocritically. Too often people think the over simplified version of complex motivation is the entirety.
I admit to being surprised upon learning that many Amish have cell phones to be used in emergencies. As I believe they aren't against technology but only the over reliance on things, outsiders, etc.

While the disadvantage rules only care about bottom line effect, character creations would benefit from defining the reasons for and nuances of a complex vow.