View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: High tech guns, and an ultratech gun theoretical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
I was trying to find how to know how much damage to actually add but as the book itself says. It doesn't have a formula as "it is beyond the scope of this book" I was wondering if there was something in another book or someone knows of a good way to implement it. Or if I am sposed to Frankenstein it together with the explosives formulas in the basic set?
High Tech generally favors a descriptive rather than predictive approach. To guess how much boom an exploding bullet has, you need to guess how much explosive is in it and then, as you say, use those explosives formulas (and probably the HT REF table). And then you can hope it's got the same ballistics as the solid version... But if it's an exploding bullet that actually exists, you can look up how much explosive is in it instead of guessing at it, and ideally you can check what its ballistic properties are too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
I have looked at homing. It's not what I'm looking for. Maybe something similar but it's not the effect that I'm looking for.
Your GURPS options for modeling non-dumb projectiles are Homing and Guided. The difference is that Homing is fire-and-forget while Guided requires user assistance. Both are covered in the Basic Set. (Maybe also treat it as Overhead.)