View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
McAllister

Default Re: Committed Attack - two steps and standing up

Well, I was trying to be brief, but I'll cite the relevant rules now.

Quote:
STEP
Most maneuvers allow you to take a step, either before or after another action. You may step a distance equal to 1/10 your Move, but never less than one yard. Round all fractions up. Thus, Move 1-10 gives a one-yard step, Move 11-20 gives a two-yard step, and so on.
If you are capable of steps greater than one yard, you may break up your movement in a turn. For instance, if you had a two-yard step, you could move one yard, make an attack, and move another yard during an Attack maneuver.
You can use a step to go from a kneeling to a standing posture (or vice versa) instead of moving. This requires your entire step, no matter how far you could normally move.
Quote:
COMMITTED ATTACK
Movement: Step or two steps. A second step gives -2 to hit, making the total modifier +0 for Committed Attack (Determined) or -2 for Committed Attack (Strong). Movement can come before or after the attack. An attacker who takes two steps can step, attack, and step again – a tactic known as “attack and fly out.”
The way I read this is that CA gives another step, and "a step" is the same as "move (Move/10, round up) hexes." If I attack with Move 7, I can step one hex. If I attack with Move 17, I can step two hexes (or split that up into moving one hex, attacking and moving another hex; but standing from kneeling still uses the whole step). If I CA with Move 7, I can step twice, which means that I could turn the first step into standing from kneeling and the second into moving one hex. If I CA with Move 17, I can step twice, covering a total of 4 hexes (as each step is two yards), or only two if I need to turn one of the steps into standing from kneeling.

Essentially, I read it thus: a Step is a unit of movement. Basic Move determines the hexes traveled in a Step. Maneuver chosen determines allotment of no Steps, one Step or, for CA, two Steps. One Step can become standing from kneeling, or moving a number of hexes determined by Basic Move, and it's permissible to split up that movement.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote