View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Bruno

Default Re: [DF] Sample Encounters

I'm going to be coming home really late tonight, but after work tomorrow I'll dig up my old campaign logs and notes from some of the encounters I put my online group through and give you some reports.

One encounter that stood out in my mind was the secret chest ambush, taken from one of the Dungeon Crawl Classics on e23 and converted to GURPS (The Vault of Tsather Rho).

The area is a section of cavern with gradually lowering ceiling heights, leading to a cramped 3' tall end of the room with a treasure chest. Enough of the cave ceiling has been carved out via Shape Stone to let someone open the chest lid but it was heavy enough and jamned in enough to be difficult to remove. The catboi thief squirmed in and got the chest open, but was attacked by the 1' tall animated statuettes sitting inside and guarding the treasure.

Two were marble, and two were iron, and IIRC I gave them Homogenous, DR, and appropriate HP based on weight and I'll have to dig up my notes as to what else went into their stats.

The problem of posture penalties and reduced mobility for PCs, but not for the minikins, combined with their relative toughness for their size and the surprise value of the encounter made for a pretty interesting fight, from my perspective as GM. The posture penalties were avoidable, if you concentrated on crawling away from the minikins long enough to get out from under the low ceiling, but they'd be running after you and punching you with hard tiny fists the entire way.

Part of the loot was the raw material value of the iron minikins ;)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote