View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
Phantasm

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Law

"I handle mostly tax laws, and probate stuff occasionally." -- Rick Moranis, Ghostbusters II. Totally out of his depth when it came to criminal proceedings.

Most of the time when it comes to players wanting to give their characters a Law specialization, I ask them to give both a jurisdiction (municipality, barony/county, state/province/duchy, nation/kingdom, empire) and a focus (criminal, civil).

This could include Roman Catholic Canon law or Islamic Inheritance Law (the latter is the reason we have Algebra as a branch of mathematics, IIRC, because of how intricate and complicated it can be).

Law (Jewish)? I'd probably give it a fairly generous default to Theology, but the laws laid down in the Book of Leviticus can be taken as a separate legal code by itself without having to know the rest of the Old Testament. Same with Law (Code of Hammurabi); you don't need to know Babylonian religion to act as an advocate in Hammurabi's court.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote