View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #36
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Why adventuring parties?

On reflection, I think what I've really been looking for this whole time is something like the Dungeon Fantasy equivalent of the list of "Campaign Types" in the GURPS Action series: the PCs can be a group of special operators, or vigilantes, or crooks who pull heists. Not everyone wants to do every campaign type, which is fine, because there are several perfectly coherent options. But Dungeon Fantasy basically assumes one campaign type, "unemployed mercenaries, who somehow only get hired for jobs that can be handled by a group of four to six". What I want is a list of alternative options, like:
  • King's Men (Ye Olde Secrete Agents, essentially). Disadvantages like Honesty and Sense of Duty (Nation) are encouraged, but it's possible to just be in it for the money.
  • Thieves' Guild: The PCs are operatives of said Guild. The Honesty disadvantage is prohibited.
  • The Epic Quest: Seeking the Holy Grail or whatever. The quest might be the Obsession of one or more PCs.
Etc. What else belongs on the list? Some more of the types in Action could be adapted for Dungeon Fantasy, though many are somewhat awkward fits (e.g. lots of fantasy governments don't have enough separate departments for a Task Force to make any sense).
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote