View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
Wicked Lurker

Default Evaluate useless? (from Why Wait)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
As far as other tactics go, making opponents harder to bring down (through good defenses and/or armor) may encourage players to Evaluate, in order to do build up a bonus for something like Deceptive Attack or a Targeted Attack to a more vulnerable, but penalized, hit location (like the hand).
So far I have not yet found a use for evaluate and actually think it's useless in most situations.

Consider the the alternatives:
A Skill-12 warrior attacks some adversary.

1) choose evaluate, attack next round: one attack at skill 13. probability of success 0.84
2) choose attack and also attack next round: 1-((1-0.74)^2). probability of success 0.93

So only at effective skill 4 is an evaluate followed by an attack better than two successive attacks. At skill 5 the two attacks are already better (according to a quick calculation)

The only situation in which I can imagine evaluate being useful is when your opponent does not see you.. but then still telegraphic attack is the better option given that you could be detected any second, being that close - and if you can't a hefty TDM is in place anyway making the hit almost automatic.

☼Online courses and free stuff on GM-ing☼
Wicked Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote