View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #27
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Food & other stuff production in a farm

Thanks for posting the response, and good to know. You're definitely right about Tenure not giving money if you don't work, I guess. That said, I still don't think Tenure is the right thing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I believe the mention of keeping your salary is more just that you don't get a paycut, not that you still get paid. I'm not certain exactly how freelance/self-employment is meant to work in GURPS, when it isn't part of the adventure (as it is in DF and the like), but my guess would be you should still go through the normal "find a job" rules if you didn't start with one, and that failure to work semi-regularly means you lose whatever connections that represented and have to try again next time you need a job (continuing to work means more work keeps coming in, so it's just like having a normal job, but with a variable pay scale).
I'd disagree on that interpretation. I think the critical difference between a freelance job and one where you're working for an employer is simply the variable pay for the freelance one. The Job rules in Campaigns say "at the end of every month in which a character works, he must roll..." (emphasis mine, p. B516), and under "Finding a Job", it says "A PC seeking a job that requires an employer (that is, one at which he is not self-employed) may roll against IQ once per week to see if he finds work." (p. B518). I'd say that suggests, particularly the 2nd reference, that someone who's self-employed can always just not work in the month, and not make a job roll. They just won't get any money for it. But they can go back to the job next month. I certainly wouldn't prevent someone from rolling on a self-employed job after putting it down for a month, barring a previous critical failure.

Anyway, the point of all this, is that Tenure is really only appropriate for people with salaried jobs with employers - it has no benefit if you don't have an employer. And characters like the original poster is describing, who produce some useful material, can simply treat that as a self-employed job.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote