View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Phoenix42

Default Re: wordbound NPCS and overdoing it

Well, I guess that makes sense in a quirky sort of fashion. I know it's in the gmg, it's just that the gmg also strongly urges the gm to keep God out of the game. But then, if you don't take that one too seriously (and no desperate reason one should, imho), I think the idea of God assigning an apparently ill-suited angel a word that they later turned out to be suited for is fine.

The question for me is, what are you trying to achieve with the character, i.e. what is her purpose in the game? I'd make any skills and similar stuff dependent on that.

As a side-note, however; I'm not sure how old exactly the angel in question is, but I would assume that most angels, wordbound or not, have dozens of redundant skills. Seeing as the majority of angels is easily likely to be at least millennium old, if not more... In Gurps: IN terms, I would set aside about 25 points/millennium just for old and no longer useful skills that the angel is still carrying around with them. Of course that depends on what qualifies as "old" in IN, the treatment of which is rather erratic throughout the rulebooks, imho.
Of course, one can rule that most of these skills have been Forgotten (I believe Yves says a few words on the subject at one point). In that respect, the question arises of what truly qualifies as a lost or obscure song. Hardly any songs can have been truly lost, save particular variations by Virtuosos who didn't get round to passing them on. Even the Songs of Light will still be known to a select few. Songs aren't Forgotten, as far as I understand, so someone, somewhere still knows them, it's just the question of finding them.

But that tangent aside, it depends on what qualifies as "normal" for an angel (the angelic median age, as it were) in your setting, and how does your wordbound diverge from that? If you answer that, I think it should get you closer to deciding whether or not the power-level is adequate.
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote