View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #275
JLV

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The last several posts raise questions that I had I had in mind when I pointed to Metamorphosis Alpha. Most gamers know it as just a title but might have some idea that it was briefly influential and popular in the late 70's. From this inauspicious start, Goodman Games managed to gin up enough interest for a strongly funded Kickstarter and cobbled together the workforce to make a surprisingly extensive and nicely presented line of products. This is clearly a side project and labor of love rather than the company's main business, but they presented products with a range and quality the TFT community would be more than happy to see. I actually think TFT has a much stronger starting market than MA (quite a few people know it, there are probably several thousand who play it actively, it is connected to a well known, in-print system, and it is intrinsically a better game with a deeper catalogue of material). But the two games present pretty similar business models.
Good point! It will be interesting to see whether SJG opts for strictly in-house publication, or goes for something more community oriented. Given that people have HAD to create their own stuff (barring lazy types like me, who do a lot of conversions) over the past 35 years, I'll bet there are a LOT of good adventures/dungeons out there if people dug through their own materials!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote