View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #44
philosophyguy

Default Re: Just Roll 3d6 - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
Adding line breaks really does help make a stat block easier to read. One change I would make to your formatting would be putting each Secondary Characteristic on its own line. That will be much easier to follow than with two secondary characteristics per line.
I debated that for a while, and I'm not sure there is a clear-cut right answer. While length is less an issue for electronic media than print, it's still possible for a template to be too long. If someone needs to scroll the screen, that's a bad sign. This particular template is short enough that it doesn't matter, but I can imagine longer templates in which saving the four or so lines would be useful.

It's definitely easier to get away with putting secondary characteristics on a shared line than it is with other traits because there's a fixed set of elements and so the reader can learn the standard order. By contrast, a list of advantages could include any number of elements and thus is harder to parse as a block.

But you're right—if you have the space, it's even easier to parse the version with each secondary attribute on its own line.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote