View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #17
Engurrand

Default Re: Powerstone historical names

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Threshold-limited magic and spirit-assisted magic are more historically accurate interpretations of magical energy than the standard system. Humans channeled magical energy rather than providing magical energy... snip snip.
This is consistent with my general observations. Stones in mythology tend to posses magical qualities, such as turning water they touch into medicine, or starting fires. Some charm-stones in native american traditions seem to have been believed to possess dangerous energies which could be harassed by the skilled, but the papers I was reading simply called them charm stones, and did not include the native names which would have been useful to my purpose.

The anthropological papers I've found describing charm stones, charmstones, painted pebbles and such does not offer much in the way of indigenous vocabulary, which is a big oversight - I strongly suspect subtly of definition is lost in rebranding everything a under modernized headings.

In hindu/tantric mysticism/ritualism there are the shaktimani, which translates literally to power stone. I guess sometimes people just call things what they are.