View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #6
Celjabba

Default Re: Resolved,There is no point to statting up anything that is not a PC

I am the first willing and wanting to attempt to stat up anything and everything just for fun or for a better understanding of the rules.

But, when someone on the forums who is not an gurps-maniacs ask:
"How can i stat that very complex power from ***** anime/movie/book, for an NPC"
I believe the answer "don't stat it, just write down what it do"
is the correct one.

If you are playing a Watchmen campaign, knowing the exact point cost and write-up of Dr. Manhattan is probably irrelevant.
Even for allies and ennemies, i have, in my own games, eyeballed a point cost and not bothered with a full stating.
Unless i want to, for personnal satisfaction, that is.

I have strong opinionated memories of ICE Lord of Middle Earth books, when you learned that the God of earth could move 87654 cubic feet of earth/hour, expanding 32 mana for each 1 lbs moved ... Knowing that he have 12345 mana and 11 spells list to level 50, 13 spells list to lvl 30 and 17 spells list to lvl 10.
(yes, i am using fictional number here. but the exact number were in the book, meticulously calculated).
Those information were, and still are, useless for a gaming purpose.

Likewise, the full, exact write-up of a NPC power that the pc will never be able to acquire, or the full template of a toaster that no pc can digitally posess, is in my opinion,
useless for gameplay purpose.
It is interesting on a theorical level, it is interesting for mastering the rules, but for the actual gameplay, it doesnt add anything.

Also, writing up racial template for shapeshifter, cybershells, ... is a necessity.
And a good write-up for an ally is always good to have.
But if knowledge of a write-up and point cost is unnecessary in game, it is my opinion that this full write up is something that you may do, not have to do.

So, i ould not say that there is no point, just no necessity in many case.

In my opinion.

celjabba

Last edited by Celjabba; 12-30-2009 at 05:10 AM.